Thursday, July 11, 2013

Dress to Skirt

Got this fabulous dress when I went to visit my best friend in Mississippi. She has a salon/boutique, Studio B, and they had lots of retailers out selling on the steet for the annual Railroad Festival! Great event if you're ever in Amory, MS in the spring.
 
I think I've worn this dress twice and I've had it for nearly 3 years. I love the pattern but after I wore it to dinner with one of my best friends from high school, I realized the material is extremely smothering... just felt super hot in it. If you know how Tennessee weather is then you know the humidity plus this material was a bad combo.


Taken at Cru Bistro for a wine tasting dinner! This is Kristen, one of my best friends from high school!
After I decided this was a little too short to wear around the workplace, I decided to give my beginner sewing skills some brushing up on with a simple little alteration.
 
It's not perfect by any means, but it works for me. I chopped off the top of the dress and folded the top where I had cut and sewed it back into the fabric waist band. Here is what I came up with:

 
  The top of the waist band kind of puckered up as you can see in the pic on the left so in the right pic, I folded the waist band under so it looks flat. I'm not sure, I might have needed to use elastic thread for that to lay correct but whatever the case, I dig it. I wore it to work this week with a pink t-shirt tucked in and pink sandles to match - got several compliments, so I am proud of my work!
 
Now to think of what I will do with the left over fabric... makeup case? Who knows!
 
Happy sewing, friends!

1 comment:

  1. So cute!! I need to invest in a sewing machine! I'm afraid it might be disastrous though ;)

    ReplyDelete